Friday, June 5, 2009

Day One: The Training 6/4

Great start to practice. I got there early so I went to get some H2O. Could the gas station be any further away!

Once I got back we were about 10 minutes from starting but we got going right on time. Coach Tom got us going by telling us a bit about what to expect for the night and he went over how we should read the training schedule. I'm still not sure whether I understand it or not but I will figure it out, I work for NASA right? LOL

He split us into three groups:

1. Those that knew the running style he teaches
2. Those that had running experience but not his style
3. Those that had no real running experience

I was going to go into the 3rd group but I ended up in group two. We started out by going for 2 laps so that he could see our running style. I didn't get any tips so I figure I was doing ok. there were a few really good runners and they started out fast.

Bad for me.....

I got a little competitive and went out fast. Luckily there was a woman there that was next to me that started to talk to me and it paced me...well down I guess. I got a good rhythm going and we spoke about her doing other Tris in the past and whether I had or not. Cool girl, Lisa I think.

After we ran a little we went into some yoga type stretches which was interesting. I was much more flexible than I thought. After that we went over and Coach Tom went over the running style we should be using. A bicycle type motion seemed to work a better than the "shuffling" style some of us were using. We did a drill that showed us how we go faster by moving our arms. Pretty cool.

Being that I am not an endurance guy I was impressed to see how some of the mechanics of the sport can help performance like in other sports. We did another couple of laps and once again I had to get out front. I tried to slow down but It was really hard to do. I worry a bit about being able to go at a slow pace and not kill myself in the first few minutes. LOL

After the run we did a pacing drill where we counted the paces we did in 1 minute. The ideal was 85, I was at 98 so I was going too fast. What else is new right?

We then did some core stuff, dips buttkicks, high knees, abs, and side motion exercises. Again I went out way too fast. I was gassed after the first set of buttkicks and high knees. After the High knees it was hard to lift my legs. I got through the drils and actually did ok but it was hard. The abs drill was last and it killed me.

Overall, great night and a great way to kick it off. I am pumped to get into the pool on Saturday. I am NOT pumped to wake up tomorrow.

GO TEAM

No comments:

Post a Comment