Monday, June 22, 2009

Saturday 6/20 Swim/Bike

The first brick training was a mild success...

Sort of.

My group started out on the bike and after the Friday off I was feeling very refreshed. I didn't try to get really aggressive and go out with the "Pro" group. I in stead held back a little and I am glad I did. I started out really well. We were going for a loop of about 2.2 miles and it was a good course with a slight kick up in the middle section. It wasn't very steep at all, just enough to get your thighs burning slightly. The ride wasn't the problem. I had a problem with the gears however and they kept slipping back into the high gear.

That made the ride tough.

I couldn't get any rhythm at all and it was incredibly difficult to keep pace with anyone when I had to peddle so much. But that was only the first problem. The real problem was the cages I had for my peddles. First it is incredibly difficult to get my feet into the cages after I took them out to stop. Second the right cage broke which wasn't a problem till the end when I took my right foot out to hit a crosswalk. I have decided that I really, I mean really need a set of clip in peddles. Life would be much easier if I could clip in and not worry about it. I finished ok and with the exception hip flexor strain to the right leg (yes the same one as the knee dammit) I got through it totally pain free. I think if I would have had the bigger gears I could have done much much better.

The swim portion of the ride was totally uneventful. I moved in the intermediate section of the pool and changed coaches. Jill gave some really good instruction and I actually learned a lot. I wanted Ivy to watch my swim stroke to see if I had improved at all but she was busy with the advanced swimmers. I got a better feel for "gliding" acccross the water instead fo chopping through it. I really noticed a difference in my endurance. The last time we were at burgess 2 weeks ago I was gassed after every 50. This time I felt like I could go at an even pace for at least 100 yads without getting tired. That was really cool. It is the first time I have noticed a difference in anything since I started. I can see how people can become addicted to this stuff.

I can't believe I am going to say this but I actually think that the run is going to be my best event. That totally blows me away. The swim is going to be much tougher than I had hoped but I kinda knew it might turn out that way. I have heard so much that swimming for distance in a competetion is much tougher than people realize, especially people that are naturally comfortable in the water. The bik I figured was going to be, well not easy but at least a strength. I think I might be wrong. I can see though that on the bike equipment is really everything.

I think I am progressing along nicely and I am hoping that i start to see dramatic changes to my level of comfort in all three disciplines this week or next week.

I am taking Father's Day off and Monday is going to be a tough one to get in because of work.

GO TEAM

No comments:

Post a Comment